14 Feb New financial year wealth tips
Get the new financial year underway with a positive plan.
Steven Korner a financial planner with Omniwealth details how you can get off to a good start for the 2018-19 financial year.
Eliminate personal debt
Australia has some of the highest personal debt levels in the world and it is only increasing. Some of these debts are incurring interest at over 20%. Personal debt is considered bad debt as it does not produce income for you, it diminishes your long-term wealth. Paying this off as fast as possible will propel you on your path to financial independence.
Take control of your super
Superannuation is your nest egg for retirement. Too many of us have super spread across multiple funds. Consequently, this means that unnecessary fees are diminishing our future. This is the financial year to consolidate your super and take back what is yours!
Review your home loan
Interest rates are currently at record lows, despite this, many banks are still charging their customers an arm and a leg in interest. Speak to a mortgage broker to take advantage of the highly competitive interest rates some banks are offering. This could save you thousands of dollars a year in interest repayments.
Protect your income and assets
Australians will not hesitate to insure their car but will not insure themselves. You are your most valuable asset. Ensure you have appropriate levels of personal insurance in place, such as Life and Income Protection, to protect yourself and your family in the event of unexpected injury or illness.
Construct a savings plan
Sit down and determine how much money you want to save this financial year. Now, divide this number by 52 weeks. Congratulations, you have just created yourself a weekly savings goal. Think about things you could easily substitute out of your life in order to achieve this. If you were to stop buying your morning coffee this financial year you could save yourself an upward of $1,400!
Plan and begin to achieve your financial targets
Most of us fail our financial year’s resolutions because we do not keep ourselves accountable to our goals. A Harvard University study found that only 3% of students had both written goals and concrete plans. However, this 3% were making ten times more than the rest of the 97% of the class after 10 years. Schedule yourself one hour to write down your goals and how you are going to achieve them. Revise this every six months and the results will speak for themselves.